Friday, February 21, 2014

Thanks to My Coaches

COACHES.
Being a coach takes a special kind of person, and being a swim coach takes even more dedication.  Coaches dedicate SO much of their life to watching someone else succeed.  Sure, the success of the team is a reflection of the coach but no one else understands the heartache of a failed swim or the pain of a lost championship like a coach does.  They work just as hard, if not harder, than the athlete. Their work isn't finished when they walk off the pool deck.  They don't change out of their suit after morning practice to go home and take a nap.  They leave their office on the pool deck for their other office to recruit more talent and discover more ways to improve. They get up EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. to make you better.  The mornings you get the rare opportunity to sleep in, they are up helping others get better.  They don't have a summer break.  Their summer is leaving the indoor pool and moving to the outdoor pool to get ready for Nationals.  They spend more time with their swimmers than they get to spend with their real families, but don't pity them, they're doing what they love.  A coach also acts as a parent to seventy athletes.  The athlete and the coach spend so much time together - you both grow to learn so much about each other without even realizing it.  You have good days and bad days together and you share in life's joys and sorrows. Your coach is like your best friend that you don't have to worry about apologizing to after you've both yelled at each other, because that's just how things go - you move on.  I've had the privilege of having some great coaches throughout my career.  Some of which I have developed friendships with over the years and others that only participated as a coach throughout my journey. Either way, they have all had some impact on my life. 

MY JOURNEY.
However, the coaches I GOT to swim for in college were some of the best I've ever had, and I use the word "GOT" because it was MY PRIVILEGE to swim FOR them.  I didn't go to college as an all-star or one of the nation's top recruits. In fact, when I got to college, swimming was a huge wake up call for me. Looking back, I believe I was really able to develop my talent and see my real potential through obstacles I eventually was able to overcome throughout my college career.  I had NEVER, EVER worked so hard in my life.  My freshman year was THE hardest year, and my roommate Brittany can testify to that - she was right there with me.  Everyone just kept saying things will get better after the first four weeks, but I swear those first four weeks were never going to end. Things got better for a little while, but practices still sucked.  I had never lifted a weight in my life, I was too "fat" and out of shape to make intervals and workouts like everyone else, and the discouragement really fueled my hate for swimming. Then came Christmas training which was another solid two weeks of pure hell.  I seriously considered quitting after my freshman year.  I'm so glad I didn't.

From the beginning, Bruce was always stern yet understanding.  I think he wanted so much more for me but knew he couldn't make me want it - it had to be something that came from within me.  There were times he would force me to do things I didn't think I was capable of, but there were also times when he allowed me to enjoy the small victories.  We had many discussions about my fears, my physical fitness and my confidence, but I never felt like he gave up on me.

I didn't do ANYTHING the summer after Freshman year - HUGE mistake.  Getting in shape sucks but getting in WATER shape is an entirely different animal.  Not only does it TAKE FOREVER, but it is BRUTAL.  I came back to start my Sophomore year SO out of shape and I was miserable.  However, somewhere along the way,  I grew to love the sport again.  I started taking the advice I was given and applying it rather than just hearing it.  I began watching what I ate and working to get in better physical shape.  I had success at conference my Sophomore year and that was a great motivator.  

MY TRANSITION.

I came back to school for Junior year more in shape and more physically fit than I ever had been.  I was excited about what the year could bring and what I could do.  I became more passionate about my team and more driven to win.  My friendships with my teammates grew to be more than that - they grew to be my family.  I learned to lean on them when I had a bad practice or a crappy meet and I wanted the best for all of them.  I really learned what it meant to want someone else to succeed. I learned how much more fulfilling it was to win as a team than as an individual. My relationships with my coaches grew dramatically over those two years.  I developed a lot more respect for Bruce, and my relationship with Rita began to blossom.  Now I had two people I could talk to about things and they each played different roles in my life.  I think we all began to understand each other and have a mutual respect and trust for each other which allowed all of us to be successful. 

My senior year was the best year of my swimming career.  I was more excited than ever to swim and be a part of this team that I had grown to love.  I had the best teammates and friends I could ask for and I had the awesome opportunity to be captain and lead this team.  I even looked forward to Christmas training - a solid two weeks of doing nothing but tanning, getting in the best shape ever, eating and sleeping. A complete 180 from my attitude two years ago.

MY THANKS.
I owe it to those guys - my teammates, but especially those three coaches - for re-igniting my love for the sport, for forcing me to reach beyond what I always knew into the unknown and out of my comfort zones.  

BRUCE. 
I appreciate, SO MUCH, Bruce's patience with me those first couple of years. Without his patience and belief in me, I probably would have never made it four years. I appreciate his diligence in helping me understand different aspects of the sport and the chance he took on me - I'm sure there were times he thought he wasted his time and money.  His love for the sport is immense.  Being a swim coach is not for the faint of heart and Bruce puts every ounce of his being into leading a great team.  I appreciate his adaptability to different swimmers and training styles.  His willingness to tweak and make adjustments were important to me and his confidence in me gave me confidence in myself. The transformation I had in four years was undoubtedly due to his patience, diligence, adaptability and belief in me.  There is no one else on this earth I would have rather dedicated the best four years of my swimming career to.

RITA.
Rita played a VITAL role in teaching me to love swimming again.  I was always able to talk to Rita as my friend even though she played the role of my coach.  I always felt like she understood everything I was saying or going through and she always had a great solution.  Rita kept swimming fun for me.  Our workouts were never predictable and oftentimes she would make up drills that were most unusual.  Some days you would come to practice thinking she wrote workouts made for ten year olds and other days she'd come in expecting you to beat Michael Phelps, but it didn't matter what kind of practice you had, you were always her "kid" and you better believe she was always proud of you. Rita also never put up with any BS.  If someone was in a bad mood or causing trouble, she'd call you out...or kick you out.  She was a no BS kind of coach, and I appreciated that.  You knew what was acceptable and what wasn't, and if you crossed the line you then you took that risk.  I appreciated her light-hearted spirit that made swimming fun, but I also appreciated the intensity she brought when the time was right.  I owe much of my love for swimming to Rita. Although she has recently said to me, "I think you always loved it, kid."  Maybe she's right, but her guidance through those tough years were invaluable to me and I wouldn't trade her friendship for anything.

BRIAN.
I think Brian and I were only meant to be together for the one year we were given because I'm not sure I would've lasted if it was any longer.  I didn't have the privilege of swimming for him for very long as he came to WKU my senior year.  Even at that, he coached the distance kids most of the time so he and I never had much interaction.  That was probably a good thing.  He and I typically joke about our love/hate relationship we had on the pool deck, but when it came down to it I think we both always had mad respect for each other.  I even recall apologizing to him once for being super disrespectful and he played it off like it's just one of those things that happens - but that's just Brian. I knew practice was going to suck if Brian was coaching us. We ALWAYS butted heads.  He's so stubborn. If he would only consult with Bruce on everything I needed to know, then we would have been just fine (now who's the stubborn one). I am partially joking :) Brian is very strong-willed and very determined.  He honestly wants the best for all of his swimmers and that's all he wanted for me.  He pushed me really hard on the rare occasion he was my coach and it definitely made me a better person and swimmer.  Brian was also a no BS kind of coach but in a different way.  If the workout said one thing, that's the way it was going to be done.  If it didn't say "with a snorkel" then there would be no snorkel, from what I would come to find out. He also didn't deal with complaining.  Brian showed no sympathy for bad days, bad workouts or bad attitudes.  If you had something to complain about, he'd give you a smart-ass remark back in his Boston accent and tell you to get going.  Brian was too witty and cut-throat to listen to anyone's complaints.  One thing I learned about Brian is that he is an incredible student of the sport. He may have not been the best swimmer of his time, but I guarantee you he could coach his way through every event meanwhile teaching you something you didn't already know. He truly LOVES his "job" and his swimmers and dedicates his life to it. He may not be the coach you go to when you want to cry after a hard workout, but there's absolutely no doubt he doesn't want the best for each kid in and out of the pool.  Ironically, Brian and I have a great friendship now and I'm lucky and honored to have had the privilege to call him my coach. 

Without the different dynamics of the coaching staff, I don't think the team or I would have had as much success as we did.  Much of the success I had when I was younger was due to talent, but when I got to college I wasn't able to get by on talent alone and that's what I struggled with.  I didn't really know how to work hard or what it took, I just wanted it to come to me, but I'm so glad it didn't.  I was SO BLESSED to have gone to the school I went to and be coached by amazing coaches who weren't afraid to give the tough lessons.  I had so many experiences through swimming and so many of them can be transferred into life.  These coaches played a major part in molding me into an adult and I will always count them as a great friend.  One of the greatest things about a coach is that their victories are your victories. Success isn't nearly as fun or enjoyable when you have no one to share to it with.  Your coaches want what's best for you NO MATTER what you think.  Their motivator is YOU.  You allow them to do what they love, but don't forget that they also allow you to do what you love.  A coach understands you in ways that others never can and never will.  You spend so much time together and go through things together that allow you to develop a special bond that will always be there.  You create memories built on happiness and defeat, anger and tears, screams and laughs. I'm so grateful for all the coaches I've had in my life, but especially these three. They've been some of the best mentors and teachers I could ever ask for and I value each of their friendships today. 


Thanks guys - you don't hear it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment